5 Ways to Admire Rotterdam's Fire Limits
Tuesday, May 08, 2007
Picture credit by Mothership
On Monday 14 May, in the evening, Rotterdam 2007 City of Architecture will illuminate the fire limits of Rotterdam’s city centre with over one hundred light beams. The fire limits mark the areas of the city that were destroyed by the bombing on 14 May 1940 and the ensuing fires that broke out. From 10.45 pm a blaze of light beams on these boundaries will light up the skies, making the true impact of this devastating event visible throughout the entire city.
5 ways to admire Rotterdam's Fire Limits:
- Go to Coolsingel and check the piece "Struisvogels -Ostriches- on the Coolsingel" from Theatre Company Bonheur. At 6.30 pm, 7.30 pm, and 8.30 pm
- Get ready for a unique performance by the French Mécanique Vivante and the Nieuw Trombone Collectief, with a firework display plus a composition for warning alarms and trombones. At 10.10 pm (Schouwburgplein)
- After the concert, The Blossoming City by landscape architect Adriaan Geuze, will be unveiled at the Schouwburgplein.
- Take a holistic view of the fire limits from the Groot Handelsgebouw (the roof terrace of Café Restaurant Engels, on Stationsplein 45), and the Euromast (on Parkhaven 20, entrance fee 5 euro) and the Witte Huis (on Wijnhaven 3). Fire limits running from 10:45 - 2:00.
- Combine all the above with a bunch of friends, and the enjoyment is ensured!
via: Rotterdam 2007 City of Architecture
Related Posts: rotterdam, events, architecture